Secondly, if you are interested in building the Lumber yard skiff, don't be stingy and buy the plans from: http://www.oldwharf.com/store/lys-plans. You will spend a couple of grands on the materials anyways, $50 for the plans won't break the bank, you will be supporting the intellectual work of the designer, and you will know that you are building a sea-worthy boat. I will add as many pictures and "tips" that I learned along the way, but I will not provide measurements to support my point. This is coming from one of the stingiest people you'll ever know, so there.
Third and last disclaimer: I built my boat and it turned out great, but I shall not held liable for any information you read in this blog. Read other sources and make sure you are comfortable with the process and the project you are embarking on (never better said) don't just take my word for it.
Let's be done with the disclaimers and let's get going with the build. After studying the plans and daydreaming about the build for a while, I went ahead and bought the marine plywood. If you can find affordable marine plywood in your area, don't skimp on this either. Some people have successfully built the LYS with lower grade plywood, but it is such a pleasure to work with this marine grade plywood, that I think it is worth the small price difference.
http://www.stagboatworks.com for details:
After that, came the chines. This is a process I lost sleep over, and for no reason. All you have to do is cut the chines at the angle specified in the plans attach them and then plane the chine and the plywood to make the bottom sit flat on top. It is a lot easier than I thought. If you don't have an electric planer, you need to buy one for this project. It will be one of the tools you will use the most.
Speaking of fiberglass:
I painted the sides before flipping her over. My rationale was that in this way my line would be cleaner (as in no drips would go on the graphite). It worked O.K. I built some frames around her to flip her using some straps. It worked out.
It was time now to apply epoxy to the inside of the boat. I did a spit coat on the inside in hopes that this will increase the durability of the boat.
Then, I added a breasthook. This breasthook could have been too small as my anchor roller barely fit on it, but it is good enough. I had enough room for the anchor roller and it takes no room from the foredeck.
Then, it was time for the center console. The test fit went well, I was ready for the rear flotation tanks.
Now, was all the fun stuff. Bimini top:
Notice that my steering cable runs on port side as opposed to the usual starboard side. Well, genius here attached the steering cable to the wrong end of the helm and after getting tired of pushing the release notch on the helm and not getting the cable to move, I decided to flip the steering tube on the trim and run the cable on the opposite side. It worked out actually quite well, as it reduced the cable clutter on starboard. Maybe it's just me trying to see the positive in everything, but I like it better. Plus, it's my boat and I love her as she is, quirky... kind of like my wife and I, now that I come to think about it... anyhow, we were ready to go fishing.
And the important picture:
Happy building! I will be fishing for a while now :)