Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Fascia Board Fix and House Painting

At the end of last year, my parents came visit. I decided to put up some series of Edison bulbs out in the patio. When I tried to put nails on the fascia board to hold the lights, I found lots of rot had taken over the fascia board. After a little bit of hammering, I could see that the board really needed to be replaced.

As you can see from the first photo, the drip edge is over a 2x1 that would have needed to be removed (to the best of my knowledge) to access and remove the fascia board. After talking to my good friend Andy, we decided that it was best, since the rot did not reach the top to mark a chalk line and cut the offending part of the fascia board and replace it with new wood. 

So, I did that and affixed the new board. I used PL premium to adhere the new board to the piece of fascia board that was left. Now, I am waiting for the pressure treated wood to dry, so that I can apply a fresh coat of paint. So, maybe my cheating can help someone in need of a new fascia board to get some more years before having to replace the whole board. 

Once that was done, the boss decided that it was time to refresh the paint on the front of the house. So, in addition to a set of new Adirondack chairs (subject of the next post), we went ahead and changed the colors of the house.

At the moment, I am working on new furniture for our bedroom. So, there should be a few more posts going up in the near future. 

Happy building!

No comments:

Post a Comment